Van Buren County Youth Talent Contest
Saturday, September 11th
Graham Weatherly Building, Van Buren County Fairgrounds
START TIME IS 7:00 P.M. with Senior Contest to follow after a brief intermission.
Rehearsal - Thursday, September 9th
Juniors (10 – 15 years of age)
after a brief intermission
Seniors (16 to 20 years of age)
- The Van Buren County Youth Talent contest will be held in the Graham Weatherly Building on Saturday, September of fair week.
- Rehearsal will be Thursday, September 9th at 5:30 p.m.
- Sign up EARLY! During fair week sign up at VBC Fair Office
- ALL contestants MUST be signed up by 5 p.m. on Saturday of fair week. Applications will not be accepted after 5 p.m. day of contest.
- The entry form must be signed by the contestant and a parent or guardian if under 18 years of age AND by a county fair official. The signed form must be received by the contest chairman no later than 5:00 p.m. before the youth talent contest.
- Official age limits are from ten years (10) to twenty years (20), inclusive.
- Contestants must be single and never have been married or have children.
- Contestants must be residents of Van Buren County (no exceptions) or attend school in the county.
- No one contestant will be permitted to enter in more than one class except with groups of five or more.
- Instrumentalists should bring their own instruments. There will not be a piano available. If an accompanist is required, contestants must make their own arrangements. If a CD is used the tape should identified with the name of the contestant and song and have only one track on it and should be cued and ready to play and given to the sound person upon arrival. A CD with more than one track will not be accepted. It is recommended that a second CD be available in case of an emergency.
- All talent competition numbers must not be more than 3 minutes in length. Contestants are free to choose what they desire to wear while performing (please dress appropriately). Any inappropriate dress/costumes, inappropriate lyrics of a song in the vocal and variety categories, or inappropriate moves in the dance and variety categories will result in immediate disqualification. The contest directors have the right to interrupt a performance if it is not deemed suitable for the Youth Talent Competition.
- Categories are: Vocal Solo, Vocal Group, Dance Solo, Dance Group, Instrumental Solo and Variety. Variety acts cannot have more than 12 people. Acts in which multiple talents are displayed should be in the Variety Category Acts that qualify for the Variety Category are song and dance, vocal and live instrumental, lip sync, pantomimes, impersonations, skits, juggling, ventriloquism, magic, gymnastics (be sure to check stage dimensions), karate, cheerleading, or other talent that does not fit in the other categories.
There are two contests:
Junior - ten to 15 years
Senior - 16 to 20 years.
The Junior contest will start at 6 p.m. and the Senior contest will start after a brief intermission.
First place winners of each group in each category will represent their Van Buren County Fair in the Arkansas State Fair Youth Talent Contest. All first place winners are required to go to the Arkansas State Fair Youth Talent Contest. If you know ahead of time you cannot go you must tell the youth talent director and will be disqualified to win first place. If a parent or guardian cannot go, arrangements will be made for alternate travel, with written permission from parent or guardian.
Second and third place winners will be asked to represent VBC Fair at the North Central Arkansas District Fair in Melbourne (Izard County). County fair winners are not eligible to enter the district contest.
Youth Talent Contest Forms are available at Sew What Sewing in Clinton.
For more information on the Youth Talent Contest contact Amy Williams 501-253-0709 or Corrine Weatherly – 501-253-1190 Return Entry Form to Contest Director prior to the youth talent contest.
Bring form to:
Sew What Sewing, Highway 65, Clinton; or to the Van Buren County Fair office any time during fair week; or to rehersel Tuesday, September 8 at 6:00 at the GW Building.